Maybe I should have started preparing earlier...
Wed 28 Jul 2010 - Sat 14 Aug 2010 24 °C
I had my last day of work on Wednesday, August 11. It felt great minus the fact that I stayed an hour and a half late and still need to go in to collect personal items.
As I continue preparations for departure, I realize there are many things I should have thought about ahead of time:
- Doctor visits for vaccinations.
- Optometrist visit.
- Dentist visit.
- Medical Services Plan (BC MSP). Turns out I've exceeded my allowable vacation time away from the province within the last 5 years meaning while I'm in Australia, BC MSP will remove my Resident status. Upon return (if I choose to live in BC again), I will not be a resident and will have to wait the 3 months it takes to re-register and will have to pay premiums for the remaining 9 months until I have spent a full year in the province. How absurd. I was born and raised here. What a rip-off.
- Travel Insurance.
- Travel plug/converter.
- Money belt.
- Diving. Oh, Scuba diving. It would have been best to find out with more than a month before leaving that I have issues surfacing. How frustrating it is to have taken all of the PADI classroom and pool Modules to find that I need to see a specialist before I do my Open Water certification. Looks like I may just be snorkeling the Great Barrier Reef.
- A place to stay upon arrival.
Not much I can do at this point. Trevor and I leave to visit his family in Regina in 8 days. After that, we only get one last day in Vancouver before we're off to Australia!
Flying by the seat of your pants
- exciting, but perhaps not the wisest way to prepare to move to another country.